Catford is a district located in the south-west of Lewisham. The majority of Catford is located in Catford Southwards and Rushey Green within the London Borough of Lewisham. Before 1889, it was part of the Kent and then the London County Council absorbed it in 1889. Most of the SE6 postcode district is covered in Catford. There are 35 major centres in Greater London and Catford is one of them.