As the population of London expanded, the importance of Edgware Road increased after the reformation. However, over the following centuries, the condition of the road became worse due to increased use. The road was repaired in the beginning of 18th century and the higher authorities started charging a partial amount of money from travellers. In the middle of the 19th century, the population of Edgware decreased. A bustling shopping centre improved the importance of Edgware after 1930.