Wandsworth Town takes its name from the River Wandle.  Wandsworth Town was known as Wandescorde and Wendelsorde back in 1086. A gas plant was built in Wandsworth Town in 1834 located close to Wandsworth Bridge in Wandsworth Town. Wandsworth Town Wharf area located at the river front in Wandsworth Town has been up dated with new flats, bars and restaurants.